Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Engineers in Malaysia

Story 1

Recently, I interviewed some fresh graduates applying for jobs with my
engineering company. I accepted two applicants on a starting salary of
RM1,600. It struck me as odd that 15 years ago, I myself started work
as a fresh graduate engineer for the same pay.

Indeed, if you compare the salaries of graduates now and 15 or even 20
years ago, you'll find little difference but that their purchasing
power is vastly different. It's the same story when you compare
salaries of shop assistants, office staff, factory workers and others.

To compound the effect of inflation, the ringgit has depreciated
greatly against all major currencies. The real income of most
Malaysians has moved backwards.

This is why many Malaysians suffer under the petrol hike. The root of
the problem is that our real incomes have shrunk in the face of
inflation and depreciated currency.. Malaysians have not been spoiled
by subsidy but are unable to move out of the time lock of stagnated
and depreciated incomes.

If you compare the per capita incomes of Singapore, Hong Kong, Taiwan
and South Korea, they are a few multiples of ours although at
independence all these countries were the on the same economic level
as Malaysia.

What has gone wrong? We were the rising star of East Asia, a country
rich in natural resources with the most promising potential.

Story 2

My dad is an Electrical&Electronic Engineer he was attached to the printing industry as a Engineering Manager and he earned up to Rm10k a month. And now he is doing his own business and earning up to three times the salary. My brother is a Mechanical engineer and works with Schlumberger in Qatar in an oil rick and earns USD8.5k a month and he is only 26 years old. My other brother is an Aircraft Engineer in the Singapore Airlines and earns up to SD12k a month..finally my eldest bro is a Civil Engineer and is attached with Sime Darby as a project manager and earns up to RM10k a month. Finally is my sis who is an R&D Engineer in west Port Klang, earns RM6k a month...

Story 3


Your story...

No comments:

Post a Comment